Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Anne Meets Farm Animals

Today I thought I would take Anne out on an adventure, so we decided to go to the Museum of Agriculture at the Experimental Farms.  It sounds pretty boring, but I knew they had animals so I crossed my fingers and off we went.  Well it was awesome.  Since it was a weekday, there was barely anyone there and everyone that was there seemed to be parents of young children.  They have three different buildings with animals in them (cows, horses, goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, etc), an exhibit area that has a tractor exhibit and a play area for kids, and a big outdoor playground in the middle of everything.  Anne and I spent two hours there and she loved every minute.

Anne especially loved the donkey and the bunny rabbit, mainly because she got to pet them.  You could pet almost all of the animals (there is barely anything between you and them), however knowing Anne's adventurous nature I was afraid to let her out of the stroller since I was positive she would walk right up to a pen, reach her arm in, and pull on a goat's ear.  I wasn't sure how the animals would react to such treatment, and I wasn't sure if Anne would have the reflexes or good sense to remove her appendage should the animal become interested in a little afternoon snack.  Next time though, I think I'll be a little bit more liberal about the petting.  She really seemed to enjoy petting the donkey (he was broadside to the side of the pen so Anne could touch his side without coming anywhere near his head).

I was so engrossed in showing Anne the animals that I barely took any photos.  :(  I did take a couple though.  See photos below.

Yesterday I took Anne to a playgroup at the Early Years Centre.  They have a circle time where they sing songs and read a book.  The older babies looked on with interest and participated in the actions.  The younger babies stared in wonder at the whole affair.  Anne did neither.  She walked right up to the lady doing the singing and stole her props.  She wanted whatever puppet or hat or picture the lady was holding at the time.  When story time started, Anne stole the book.  It was a challenge not to ruin it for her (by returning everything she stole immediately) or for the other children (by letting her steal whatever she wanted).  At one point Anne backed up into and sat in another lady's lap.  (She's big into backing up to sit on things now.)  So you can see that my child is not shy.  I'm pretty sure she would have climbed right into a cow's mouth to steal the feed from on its tongue.

Anne is babbling away.  She says "Dad" all the time now, especially in the morning when we first come down for breakfast and she is looking for him (which is sad because he has already left for work).  She sort of says "Mumum", but not really.  Jeff is sure she does.  Jeff is also sure she says "boom" when she drops something and it makes a loud noise; however it sounds more like "baba" and it is not consistent.

Anne seems to have chosen her first "transitional object" (i.e. stuffed animal that she loves).  It is a white kitty that she got for Christmas (forgive me if I get this wrong, but I think it was from Aunt Nancy?).  When you squeeze it, it meows three times.  Anne likes to sleep with the kitty stuffed under her stomach.  Every once in a while she adjusts her weight and we hear "meow meow meow" over the baby monitor.  It is a wonder she gets any sleep at all.

Anne's hair is getting long again and hangs in her eyes.  I don't want to cut it.  I don't want to let it grow too long though either; long, bangless hair seems impractical on a toddler.  However, I don't know how I want to get it cut.  And I don't want her to grow up.  I have experimented with a few barrettes, which Anne tries to pull out of her hair.  They look pretty cute, but they make her look older too.  See photos below.

Anywho, I guess I've rambled on enough for one post.  On to the barrage of photos!

An old photo I just downloaded from the camera I keep in my purse.  This is Anne's first car wash (a month and a half ago).  She didn't seem scared so much as curious.

Anne looking cute all ready to go to the park.  (She found the soother in the stroller basket; we don't usually let her have a soother during the day.)

Anne with the goats at the Museum of Agriculture.

Anne playing peek-a-boo at the park.

Anne tired after a long afternoon at the Museum of Agriculture.

Uhhh, Mom... there's a donkey here.

Hello donkey!

Anne with her hair up.

Anne is a big fan of romping on the couch.

Tee hee hee.

I know, one photo too many.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. She does look older with the barrett. I just cut Max's hair yesterday. It's amazing how much older they look each time you change their hair, isn't it?

    Glad to hear Anne had fun with animals. Kids love animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There can never be too many pictures of Anne! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete