Monday, 23 January 2012

Should Have Done a Bowl Cut

Anne's hair was growing too long.  It was in her eyes and she had a Gollum-like rat tail that was dark at the tips and light at the roots.

Anne's hair pre-hair cut.
Gollum-like rat tail.
Rat tail is light at the roots and dark at the tips.

After weeks of Jeff's cajoling I finally agreed to a hair cut.... or at least a trim.  (One day you're giving your baby her first hair cut and the next she is going off to university.  You have to be careful with those hair cuts.)  However, rather than forking out the $12 for a Baby's First Hair Cut special at the local salon, Grandma B and I thought we could do it ourselves.  We tried to distract Anne with YouTube videos while Grandma held up her hair and I cut it with some slightly curved baby nail scissors.  I bet you can guess how well this worked.  Unfortunately it wasn't until after the hair cut that Grandma and I remembered we should wet her hair to make it easier.

Afterward, Grandma tried to comfort me by telling me that hair grows in at different rates, so the short parts won't be so obvious in a couple of weeks.  I know it's only hair and that it will all grow out, but I'm also sad that I cut off the hair that my baby was born with and that she will never look the same way again.  Without the tips of her hair, her hair looks a lot lighter.  We only trimmed the bangs and rat tail, so there are still some longer, darker bits in the middle.

A deceptive side-shot of Anne's new hair cut.
Those layers are a feature.
Anne's rat tail.
In other news, Anne is progressing in leaps and bounds.  She is an expert at walking with a toy.  She can stand for much longer periods of time, and will even try to take a step from a table toward a person.  She still requires support a lot, but she is getting quite good.  She is able to climb up the stairs, and we are trying to teach her to go back down them but progress is slow.

Anne doesn't talk yet per se, but she does say "mumumum" a lot, mostly when she is upset.  Recently, her favourite noise to make is a spitting/farting noise.  She particularly likes to do this to entertain guests, or just to entertain herself if she is bored or should be napping.


Anne understands several words now, including "book", "baby", "kisses", "cuddles", "come here", "mommy", and "daddy."  She will give kisses when requested, especially to her doll or to pictures of babies.  She understands the word "no", however whether she chooses to listen to it or not is another matter.  I am certain that she understands more than this but it is hard to quantify.  For instance, the other day I quoted a line from one of her favourite books and she went over and found the book on the book shelf.  It is just amazing how quickly she is developing.

And on a completely unrelated note, her is a photo of the new diaper/wipes pouch and change pad I made to match my diaper bag.










2 comments:

  1. How am I suppose to teach your baby fart noises to annoy you if you have done it already?

    ReplyDelete